Friday 17 May 2013

Eggs in a Nest


 
Golly, I can't wait to try this retro recipe!  eggs in a nest, how cute is that!

Especially as I gathered some scallop shells from Takapuna Beach last month and had been wondering what kind of nifty little cocktail bites I could use them for.

The thought of piping  a decorative mashed potato border around the edges would never have occurred to me until I saw this recipe on p.242 of the 1976 edition of the Good Housekeeping Family Cookbook. So much healthier than the scallops mornay which were one of my dinner party pieces many moons ago.

Ingredients:



450 grams of potatoes
25 grams of butter
a little milk
salt and pepper
4 eggs
50 grams of cheese (grated)

Boil the potatoes, drain well and mash, add the butter and beat until smooth. Pipe or fork a border of this creamed potato round 4 scallop shells or individual dishes ( or put the potato into a greased oven dish and make 4 hollows in it) Break an egg into each dish (or hollow)  and sprinkle with salt , pepper and grated cheese. Bake in the centre of the oven at 180 degrees C until the eggs are set (about 15 minutes)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment